WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN AN INTERIOR DESIGNER
This guide offers some expert tips to help you find the right interior designer for your project.
How to Find the Right Interior Designer
In order to realise the full potential of your home, it’s essential that you find an interior designer who has the relevant knowledge, skill and experience. Yet given that the industry is largely unregulated, it can often be difficult to tell the professionals from the amateurs. This article outlines what to look for in an interior designer, so you can be certain that you’re making the best choice for yourself and your home.
Here are some of the key questions that you should ask when choosing an interior designer:
- Are they BIID approved? As the prime professional body in the UK, the British Institute of Interior Design only accepts qualified professional interior designers that meet their exacting standards. Your first step in choosing an interior designer should therefore be to look for BIID approved professionals in your region.
- What experience do they have? Check the interior designer’s website to find out about their experience, background and specialities, and try to gauge whether they can help you fulfil your vision.
- How do they subcontract work? A good interior designer should have a strong network of specialists upon whom they can rely for high quality, cost effective products and services. These ties won’t only help you find the right person for the job; they can also save you a great deal of money and time.
- Are they able to provide technical drawings? In order that your expectations should be met, it’s vital to ensure that both you and the designer are on the same page at the planning stage. Detailed technical drawings will help you to visualise the scheme and iron out any problems early on before they become more difficult (and expensive) to correct.
- Have they had any press attention (positive or negative)? Check the website or blog and search the web to see if they have attracted any attention in the press. Have they won any awards or been featured in an article? Have they had any bad press that would discourage you from hiring them?
- Can their existing clients vouch for them? Searching for reviews online and scouring the interior designer’s social media pages will give you a clear picture of what their customers think of them. If you can’t find either, don’t be embarrassed to ask for a reference.
- Have they completed similar projects in the past? If it’s a groundbreaking, contemporary interior that you’re after, there’s little use in choosing an interior designer who has only ever worked on traditional homes. Research the designer’s previous projects online or ask questions to find out about their main areas of expertise.
- Do they offer good value for money? Many homeowners make the mistake of basing their entire decision around cost, yet this should come secondary to the above criteria. As I mentioned previously, the interior design profession is not closely monitored, and there are many amateurs out there who will readily undercut the experts at the expense of quality. While it’s important to request a detailed quote, you should always bear in mind the fact that, generally speaking, you get what you pay for.
By now, you should have a much better idea of what to look for in an interior designer. The key is to ask as many relevant questions as possible before you sign the contract, as this will save you from any unpleasant surprises later on. This thorough guide offers some further tips on interviewing an interior designer, which will help you ensure that they’re right for the job.
William Woods Interior Design, a Yorkshire-based team of luxury interior designers, meets all the above criteria and can help you realise your vision, no matter what kind of style you would like to achieve. Browse our website for more information on our company and the services that we offer, or call 01423 530111 to discuss your ideas with an expert.